Stand-Up Comedy 101
Comedy Class Syllabus:
- Learn the basics of stand-up comedy in a structured class setting
- Mold topics into an original routine through a weekly on-stage performance workshop
- Translate your ideas into a crafted act through proper joke structure and editing techniques
- Experiment with elements of improv and acting principals to create a unique and organic performance
- Hone your joke crafting skills with a focus on writing content
Comedy Classes Include:
- Six two-hour-long comedy class sessions at Goodnights Comedy Club, Wednesdays from 6 to 8PM
- A Graduation Showcase at Goodnights at 8PM on the Wednesday immediately following the final class session (schedule permitting) in which participants perform for an audience of friends and family in a supportive, positive, and controlled environment
About the Instructors:
Brent Blakeney’s stand-up career began in 2011 in Virginia. He is now a touring feature comedian for several different comedy franchises, as well as a regular at many independent clubs, and tours with Last Comic Stand Winner Jon Reep. He has developed his voice in Raleigh, NC at the historic Goodnights Comedy Club. He delivers a very energetic and “larger-than-life” performance at all of his shows.
Brent teaches introductory, intermediate, and advanced stand-up comedy classes at Goodnights Comedy Club.
Matt White's "getting out of my small town" ambitions fueled his comedy dreams and all started in college at East Carolina University. He created "Seriously Clowning" a comedy organization, which forged the foundation of the current comedy scene in Greenville, NC. Matt has gone on to win contests such as Port City's Top Comic 2012, Carolina's Funniest Comic 2013, and was also a finalist in several other comedy competitions around the country. Matt's "if you build it, the funny will come" attitude and strong work ethic has gained him much respect in the comedy industry.
Matt has performed at comedy festivals throughout the United States including The Red Clay Comedy Festival, Norfolk Comedy Festival, Glida's LaughFest, The Boston Comedy Arts Festival, The Cape Fear Comedy Festival, North Carolina Comedy Festival, and Laugh Your Asheville Off. Matt has worked with the likes of Donnell Rawlings, Tim Meadows, Jon Reep, Alonzo Bodden, Tig Notaro, Rory Scovel, Tone Bell and more. Matt can also be seen producing "Fool Moon" at Moonlight Stage, a stand-up comedy showcase in Raleigh, NC.
Matt teaches beginner, intermediate, and advanced stand-up classes at Goodnights Comedy Club.